Sunday, December 23, 2012

Ara Parseghian, Neil Worden, Tom Clements, Tom Schoen, Dick Ambrose

I have been lucky recently in my returns and my Notre Dame run continues.  The first return I got was from the great Coach Parseghian.  I told in my last post about Nick Rassas and his gift of the book called Resurrection.  It was about Coach Parseghian's first season at Notre Dame.  He brought Notre Dame back to prominence and won two National Championships during his time there.  I am grateful to receive his autograph for my collection.

Neil Worden was another excellent Notre Dame player.  He was a fullback who helped lead the way for Heisman trophy winner Johnny Lattner.  He was on the No. 2 ranked team in 1953 as a senior.  His nickname was Bull.  He scored 29 touchdowns and left school as its third leading rusher. 

Tom Clements was the starting quarterback for the 1973 National Championship team for Notre Dame.  He was the MVP of the Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama.  Mr. Clement went on to a Hall of Fame career in the CFL.  He is now the offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers.

Tom Schoen was a member of the 1966 National Championship team under Coach Parseghian.  He came to Notre Dame as a quarterback and would leave as an All-American safety.  He intercepted 7 touchdowns (2 returned for TDs) in the championship year.  He also was an excellent punt returner. 

The last return was from Dick Ambrose.  He was an excellent linebacker for the Cleveland Browns and played in the first game that I ever saw in person.  His nickname was Bam Bam.  After his career he became a judge. 

I am grateful for all of these returns and want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment