Sunday, February 26, 2012

Basketball returns

I loved watching the NBA growing up and really until the last few years.  It was a great game and I was able to witness a lot of great players.  I still love college basketball and recently I have gotten a couple of returns from some college greats (in my opinion at least).  The first was from Milt Wagner.  He was an excellent player for the University of Louisville and helped to lead them to the 1986 NCAA championship along with Never Nervous Pervis.  My two favorite Louisville players ever are Milt Wagner and Lancaster Gordon.  Milt Wagner won a title in high school, NCAA, and in the NBA.  Quite a feat!  He is now an assistant coach at Auburn.

My second return was from Quinn Buckner.  I loved watching Quinn Buckner.  He was an excellent guard and defender.  I always lean towards the guards.  Mr. Buckner was a member of the undefeated 1976 Indiana basketball team.  He also won an Olympic medal and an NBA championship.  I always remember him as a Boston Celtic though he had his best years with the Milwaukee Bucks. 

The final return was also from an ex-Indiana NCAA basketball champ-Keith Smart.  He of the famous last second shot in the 1987 victory over the Syracuse Orangemen.  I enjoyed watching him and Steve Alford play together.  I was surprised that he never really had a shot in the NBA.  He has had a good coaching career.  He was a longtime assistant to Don Nelson at Golden State and when he was given the head job last year I thought he did an excellent job!! I was not happy he was fired.  He went to the Sacramento Kings as an assistant coach but since has become the head coach.  I think he is doing well with a very young team but I am worried it will all be for not at the end of the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment