Monday, September 24, 2012

Derek Brown, Anthony Johnson, Cedric Jones, Jeff Wright, Henry Jones, Danny Hultzen

It has been has been a little while since I have updated this.  I had a slow week but when it came it came in a group.  I received 3 one day and 3 another day.  The first return was from Derek Brown. He was a tight end that went to school at Notre Dame.  I enjoyed rooting for him at Notre Dame.  He was a Freshman on the 1988 National Championship team.  The Irish finished in the Top Ten in three of his seasons there.  He was drafted in first round by the New York Giants.   He didn't have a great chance in his NFL career.  I enjoyed when he played for the Raiders but it was a tough season for the Raiders.  He said his favorite memory was winning the National Championship, being drafted, the 1996 season with the Jags, 1998 with the Raiders, 1994 Giants, and the Cards.  I asked him if he missed the game and he said yes and no :-).   He answered my character question- be a hard worker, regardless of your talent give your best effort, you can only control 2 things in life--your attitude and your effort. (What a great statement)

My second return was from another former Notre Dame player-Anthony Johnson.  He was another member of that 1988 National Championship team. He had an excellent career for the Irish.  He scored double digit touchdowns twice during his time with the Irish.  He was a great all around back and broke the 1,100 yard barrier for the Carolina Panthers.  He said his favorite memory was winning it all at Notre Dame.  The best part of playing at Notre Dame was the commaderie fo the guys.  He said that he was humbled by the fact that God allowed him to break the 1,000 yard mark.  He answered my character question- he believes that faith is the most important.

The third return was from Cedric Jones.  He played his entire career with the New England Patriots and was part of the 1985 Super Bowl team.  His best season was in 1989 when he had the opportunity to be a starter.  His favorite memory was beating the Dolphins in the AFC championship game in the Orange Bowl.  I asked if he keeps in touch with his ex-teammates and he said he does with Tippett, Grogan, and Stanley Morgan.  His father had the biggest impact on him- he set a great example on how to be a great man, a great father, and a great husband.  He answered my character question- integrity.

Two more returns I received were from ex-Buffalo Bills.  They were Henry Jones and Jeff Wright.  Both of these players were part of the great Bills teams that went to multiple Super Bowls.  Henry Jones was a great safety who played almost his entire career with the Bills.  Jeff Wright was an excellent defensive lineman.  I love those Bills teams and don't think they get enough credit. 

The last return was from Danny Hultzen, the young pitcher who I think is going to be a great pitcher for the Seattle Mariners.  He has pitched extremely well this year and I am looking forward to following his career.  I am hoping that he can help return the Mariners to respectability.  I know one pitcher can't do it alone but if they keep Hernandez and add Hultzen...... maybe they are starting something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment